We’re all familiar with the concept of ML and AI by now, but just what exactly is Quantum Computing?
- Quantum computers are devices that work based on principles from quantum physics.
- The main merit of Quantum computers are that they can perform highly complex operations at supersonic speeds. Thus, they solve problems that are not currently feasible.
- While they’re lightning quick at what they do,they don’t provide capabilities to solve problems from undecidable or NP Hard problem classes.
|Metrics||TYPICAL COMPUTER||QUANTUM COMPUTER|
|Built using||Transistors||Sub atomic particles|
|Data is stored in the form of||Bits||Qubits|
If you want to know more about Quantum Computing I highly recommend this video :
What type of problems can Quantum computers solve?
They're good at solving problems that involves number or data crunching with a huge amount of inputs, such as “complex optimisation problems and communication systems analysis problems” — calculations that would typically take supercomputers days, years, even billions of years to brute force.
Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence :
- Machine learning is a faster way of determining and analysing these patterns and can be used for a number of different applications, however, its application in AI is the one that’s got the whole world abuzz.
- AI is a distilled concept that machines will be able to execute tasks characteristic of human intelligence.
Check out my article Everything you need to know about AI for further details.
The intersection of Machine Learning and Quantum computing!
- The intersection of these two fields goes further than one can imagine and it’s not just AI applications that can benefit.
- There is an intersecting area where quantum computers implement machine learning algorithms and traditional machine learning methods are employed to assess the quantum computers.
- This area of research is developing at such blazing speeds that it has spawned an entire new field called Quantum Machine Learning.
“Recent work has produced quantum algorithms that could act as the building blocks of machine learning programs, but the hardware and software challenges are still considerable and the development of fully functional quantum computers is still far off”
- Amit Bansal
The future of AI using Quantum computing :
Quantum computing will be able to solve complex AI problems and obtain multiple solutions to complex problems simultaneously.
This will result in AI more efficiently performing complex tasks in human-like ways.
Similarly, Robots that can make optimised decisions in real time in practical situations will be possible once we are able to employ Quantum computers based on AI.
Some of the impact that Quantum computing will have on AI will be :
- Handling Large Datasets
- Solve Complex Problem Quickly
- Building Better Models
- Integration Of Multiple Datasets
- Combat Fraud Detection
- Technical Obstacles
Similarly, some of the other challenges are :
- Sensitivity To Interaction With The Environment
- Error Correction
- State Preparation Constraints
How will classic computing and quantum computing work together?
Quantum computers will never “replace” classic computers, simply because there are some problems that classic computers are better and/or more efficient at solving.
Quantum devices don’t consistently complete more quickly or offer better solutions or not enough to justify the additional effort required to do so. That confirms the continuing value of classical computing, as well as the need for both approaches.
REFERENCE ARTICLES :
Hope this article was useful, Tune in for more such articles : )