What is Database?
It is very important to understand the database before learning MySQL. A database is an application that stores the organized collection of records. It can be accessed and manage by the user very easily. It allows us to organize data into tables, rows, columns, and indexes to find the relevant information very quickly. Each database contains distinct API for performing database operations such as creating, managing, accessing, and searching the data it stores. Today, many databases available like MySQL, Sybase, Oracle, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, etc. In this section, we are going to focus on MySQL mainly.
What is MySQL?
MySQL is the popular database management system used for managing the relational database. It is open-source database software, which is supported by Oracle Company. It is fast, scalable, and easy to use database management system in comparison with Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle Database. It is commonly used with PHP scripts for creating powerful and dynamic server-side or web-based enterprise applications.
It is developed and supported by the Swedish Company, MySQL AB, and written in C and C++ programming languages. Many small and big companies use MySQL. MySQL supports many Operating Systems like Windows, Linux, MacOS, etc. with C, C++, and Java languages.
Features of MySQL Database
The essential features of the MySQL database are given below:
- MySQL is a relational database management system and easy to use. We can build and interact with MySQL by using only a few simple SQL statements.
- It is secure because passwords are encrypted in MySQL.
- It follows a client /server architecture.
- It is free and open-source.
- It is scalable.
- It allows transactions to be rolled back, commit, and crash recovery.
- It provides high performance, high flexibility, and high productivity.
Reasons for popularity
MySQL is becoming so popular because of these following reasons:
- MySQL is an open-source database, so you don't have to pay a single penny to use it.
- MySQL is a very powerful program that can handle a large set of functionality of the most expensive and powerful database packages.
- MySQL is customizable because it is an open-source database, and the open-source GPL license facilitates programmers to modify the SQL software according to their own specific environment.
- MySQL is quicker than other databases, so it can work well even with the large data set.
- MySQL supports many operating systems with many languages like PHP, PERL, C, C++, JAVA, etc.
- MySQL uses a standard form of the well-known SQL data language.
- MySQL is very friendly with PHP, the most popular language for web development.
- MySQL supports large databases, up to 50 million rows or more in a table. The default file size limit for a table is 4GB, but you can increase this (if your operating system can handle it) to a theoretical limit of 8 million terabytes (TB).